Why Isn’t Flood Damage Covered in Homeowner’s Insurance?

What are the basics of homeowner’s insurance policies?

If you are a current homeowner, you probably have a good idea of what is and isn’t covered under your homeowner’s insurance policy. But, if you are considering buying a home for the first time, you may want to keep reading to find out more about the extent of the standard homeowner’s insurance policy.

In general, flooding is not covered by the homeowner’s insurance policy. It is instead covered comprehensively by purchasing flood insurance. Now, the homeowner’s policy might cover some aspects of damage from wind, rain, hail damage, snow, lightning or sub-zero temperature conditions.

Here is some information regarding the usual items that are covered in a homeowner’s insurance policy, although each policy may differ slightly in what is covered in what is outside of coverage.

Covered items usually include:

•    The home, rental units and garage attachments
•    Yard structures on your property, such as pools, sheds, fences or gazebos
•    Vacant land that you rent or own (but not farm land)
•    Cemetery plots that you own (and burial vaults)
•    Personal possessions located in the house or located elsewhere (but not our tenant’s possessions if you are a landlord)
•    Materials or items that you borrowed from a friend (while you keep the items on your property)
•    The living expenses you incur if you have to move temporarily to a hotel because of damage to the house

Other exclusions that are not a part of the homeowner’s policy are the cars, recreational vehicles, watercraft, animals, birds or fish on your property. For example, car insurance is a separate type of insurance with different rules, legislation and coverage. For this reason, car insurance and boat insurance are always separate and not part of the homeowner’s insurance.

It is important to remember that although the typical homeowner’s insurance does not cover water damage from floodwaters, the homeowner’s insurance can cover a one-time leaky roof, a broken window, or an unexpected broken pipe. Sewage backups are also generally not covered under the homeowner’s policy either, unless the policy has a sewage backup endorsement or added clause that applies to the policy.

There are specially designed areas of the country that are noted as flood plains or flood areas or regions. If you buy a home in a flood plain, you’ll have to purchase special homeowner’s insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program. You cannot buy this coverage after a flood has occurred on your property, but it must be purchased at least 30 days before your home is affected by a flood event. You’ll want to check into this insurance program and you’ll get the best advice related to your current land and home situation by speaking to an insurance professional first about this type of policy.

If you find water damage, rising floodwaters or sewage backups on your home, you can call us to come to you to remediate this issue right now. We are able to come to you 24/7, whenever you call us. We will respond to your call without delay. Call now, we have technicians ready to assist you with your water damage issues today.