Factors Contributing to Indoor Mold Growth

Mold will grow anywhere in the home if left unchecked.

There are many diverse factors that can contribute to the growth of mold and fungus in indoor environments. When fungus and molds are found growing inside of a home or office environment, there is usually a complex group of factors that precipitate mold growth inside living and working spaces.

For instance, homes are not only the principal areas where the family and pets congregate and live, but also are inhabited by bacteria, microbes, viruses, pests, insects and dust mites. For this reason, fungi hardly ever grow in isolation or in a vacuum – molds and fungi grow alongside other viable and present household contaminants.
Remember, mold and fungi are found naturally outside and contribute greatly to the ecosystem in breaking down organic matter. Those crunchy leaves and dead organic plants found outside are the perfect place to grow beneficial mold spores, that help to further break down dead materials and allow new life to grow and prosper. But when mold is found in the home, it can start to grow and thrive, and create a health hazards for the family who could breathe in mold spores to contribute to health issues as a result of this exposure.

Some of the general fungal factors frequently seen growing in the home are found in plentifully supply, especially after a water damage event or flood, that affects the interior environment of a home. Mold and fungus are able to live in conditions that allow them to have a steady water or humid air resource, food or organic matter to eat, and they can travel from one room to another in the home on clothing, boxes moved from an area with mold to another area without mold.

Fungal allergens are antigenic entities characterized by fungus. These fungi are often airborne, and are found commonly in damp and moldy environments. Microbial volatile organic compounds (MVOCs) are fungal products that come from chemical compounds and the growth of mycotoxins. In this case, MVOCs are cited as factors in Sick Building Syndrome (SBS), and contribute to dangerous health concerns in humans. The MVOCs cna also move in a home or building through the air ducts quite easily, and have the ability to infect many people with mold spores, bacteria or even viruses carried from one room to another via the ducts.

Mycotoxins are nonvolatile fungus, which area chemically sable, and are bioactive compounds that pose hazardous risks to human health as well. People exposed to mycotoxins can have asthma triggered in their systems to develop other health complaints, such as nasal symptoms too. These are solid reasons to be more aware of indoor mold growing in living environments. And it is another reason why it is critical to leave the cleaning up of mold, mold remediation or mold prevention efforts to the professionals. We are able to use our knowledge of mold and how it grows and proliferates to safely remove mold and other dangerous contaminants from your home right now. Just give us a call after any water damage or flooded basement event, and we will come out and clean up your home to restore it to its original safe status. We have operators on standby now, call us 24/7.