Why Sewage Cleanup for Columbus Homeowners Is Better Left Up to the Pros
If you’re like most homeowners, when you’re face-to-face with property damage, you turn to the internet for answers. When it comes to sewage cleanup in Columbus, AL, however, trusting in instructions from a blog can be dangerous. Raw sewage is contaminated with harmful bacteria, viruses and parasites.
Sewage cleanup is best left to the experts. You want trained, IICRC-certified restoration professionals
The Dangers of Sewage CleanupThere are, hands down, no better reasons to avoid DIY sewage cleanup than to learn more about the common diseases, infections and viruses spread through black water damage and raw sewage. They are numerous.
- Campylobacteriosis — As one of the single most common diarrheal illnesses, campylobacteriosis is an infection caused by Campylobacter bacteria. Many adults, once infected, do not experience any clinical symptoms at first. Then, diarrhea, cramping, nausea and vomiting present within 5 days.
- Cryptosporidiosis — A common disease found in raw sewage, cryptosporidiosis is caused by the Cryptosporidium parvum parasite. The parasite is known for its thick outer shell, which helps protect it against chlorine and other cleaning solutions. The most common symptoms include diarrhea, loose stool, stomach cramps and slight fever.
- Gastroenteritis — Also known as the stomach flu, gastroenteritis is a common infection caused by multiple viruses, such as rotaviruses, adenoviruses and astroviruses. The symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, headache, fever and abdominal cramps within two days of infection.
- Giardiasis — A disease caused by the one-celled parasite Giardia intestinalis, Giardiasis is among the most common waterborne diseases in the country. The symptoms, once present, include diarrhea, stomach cramps and upset stomach.
- Hepatitis A — Hepatitis A is a liver disease caused by the virus of the same name. Its symptoms include jaundice, fatigue, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, diarrhea, nausea and fever. Around 15% of those infected will endure symptoms for up to 9 months.
Benefits of Hiring Professional Sewage CleanupAlong with protecting yourself against the slew of diseases and infections commonly caused by raw sewage, hiring experts provides many other benefits. These benefits include:
- Safety First — IICRC-certified restoration technicians are equipped with the most advanced restoration tools and personal protective equipment in the field.
- Source — Alongside the actual sewage cleanup, it’s important to treat the source. The restoration team will find the said source, repair the problem and then clean everything from top to bottom.
- Cost — If you attempt DIY sewage cleanup, as many homeowners will, you risk not only your health but your wallet. One misstep could lead to the further spread of the contamination and more property damage.
24-hour sewage cleanup in Columbus and the surrounding area is available anytime from Restoration 1 of East Alabama.